nanog mailing list archives

Re: Google uploading your plain text passwords

From: Hank Nussbacher <hank () interall co il>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 21:12:17 +0300

On 12/06/2021 08:31, Damian Menscher via NANOG wrote:

The Chrome password manager is convenient, and the sync can be incredibly handy (I can sign into stuff on different computers or even my phone without needing to copy over the passwords), but you might consider leaving your highest-value passwords out of that system, or really any system.  Personally, my financial passwords are not known by Chrome, myself, or even my password manager.  (Yes, you heard that right -- no single entity knows the passwords.  How?  By using a simple secret-splitting scheme -- I memorize part of the password, and my password manager stores the rest.)

Or:
https://doubleoctopus.com/

-Hank

Damian