nanog mailing list archives

Re: Layer 2 based anycast - Kind like GLBP - Research

From: Baldur Norddahl <baldur.norddahl () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2021 20:29:47 +0200

On Thu, Jul 1, 2021 at 8:04 PM Douglas Fischer <fischerdouglas () gmail com>
wrote:

I friend Suggested that EVPN could help-me, but I must confess that is a
hard topic to me.
Unless it can be used depending exclusively on software (no special
hardware required), it won't fit.

Linux has EVPN support. Or you could use network switches with EVPN support.

EVPN will let each server or direct connected switch be a hidden layer 3
gateway. The application will not know about it and it will appear to be
layer 2 but routable like layer 3. Which means you can do anycast at layer
3. Physically the packets are moved in tunnels so you can use any layer 2
or layer 3 hardware at your choice.

Regards,

Baldur