nanog mailing list archives

Re: Anycast but for egress

From: Joe Maimon <jmaimon () jmaimon com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 16:58:34 -0400

Vimal wrote:
(Unsure if this is the right forum to ask this question, but here goes:)

From what I understand, IP Anycast can be used to steer traffic into a server that's close to the client.

I am curious if anyone here has/encountered a setup where they use anycast IP on their gateways... to have a predictable egress IP for their traffic, regardless of where they are located?

For example, a search engine crawler could in principle have the same IP advertised all over the world, but it looks like they don't... I wonder why?

--
Vimal

Its definitely possible, but would need a layer of software (kernel mode) on all the anycast holders synchronizing state to ensure asymmetric replies/connections get forwarded/shifted to the correct host.

If the goals are worth that kind of effort is another question. And performance is likely to be "tricky".