nanog mailing list archives

Re: Anycast but for egress

From: Daniel Corbe <daniel () corbe net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 13:37:52 -0500

On Jul 27, 2021, at 12:54, Vimal <j.vimal () gmail com> wrote:

(Unsure if this is the right forum to ask this question, but here goes:)

From what I understand, IP Anycast can be used to steer traffic into a server that's close to the client.

I am curious if anyone here has/encountered a setup where they use anycast IP on their gateways... to have a
predictable egress IP for their traffic, regardless of where they are located?

For example, a search engine crawler could in principle have the same IP advertised all over the world, but it looks
like they don't...  I wonder why?

--
Vimal

Unless you’re twisting knobs, egress traffic should already exit your network at the closest possible egress point to
its origin.  Is your intention to carry the traffic for longer than that?