nanog mailing list archives

Re: A crazy idea

From: Stephen Satchell <list () satchell net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 06:04:39 -0700

On 7/19/21 5:41 AM, Feldman, Mark wrote:
What you propose is not outlandish; some ISPs have been dual stack
and providing some combination of these services for years.  They
already provide IPv6 ip6.arpa delegations should their business
customers want them.  Some even provide at least a /56 so customers
can have multiple /64 subnets.  And we, I mean they, can also provide
RFC2317 in-addr.arpa delegations for those smaller IPv4 blocks.

The part that is missing isn't the "some ISPs", it's "all ISPs". Also, I don't know of any DNS service provider that offers a product to handle delegations from the IN-ADDR.ARPA and IP6.ARPA trees.

I'm focusing on the SOHO customer market with my proposal.

The allocation of IPv6 space with prefixes shorter than /64 is indeed a consideration for bigger administrative domains like country governments, but on the other end, SOHO customers would be happy with /96, /104 or even /112 allocations if they could get them. (Just how many light bulbs, fridges, toasters, doorbells, phones, &c does SOHOs have?) I would *not* like to see "us" make the same mistake with IPv6 that was made with IPv4, handing out large blocks of space like so many pieces of M&M or Skittles candy.