nanog mailing list archives

Re: SITR/SHAKEN implementation in effect today (June 30 2021)

From: goemon--- via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2021 17:55:46 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 9 Jul 2021, K. Scott Helms wrote:
Nothing will change immediately.  Having said that, I do expect that we will see much more effective enforcement.  The
investigations will come from the ITG (Industry Traceback Group) with
enforcement coming from FCC or FTC depending on the actual offense.  The problem has been that it's been far too easy
for robocalling companies to hop from one telecom provider to another.  Now
there are requirements around "know your customer" that telecom operators have to follow and the ITG will have a much
better chance of figuring out who the bad actor is than they have in the past.
Longer term I worry that this will lead to more attacks on PBXs, eSBCs, and VOIP handsets to be able to call either
from that endpoint itself or be able to use the SIP credentials.  The market for
robocalls will certainly not disappear.

until there is enforcement there will be no changes.

enforcement means more than just sternly worded letters.

robocalls won't stop until the perps go to prison.

-Dan