nanog mailing list archives

Re: Looking for hosted SMTP service for small ISP

From: "John Levine" <johnl () iecc com>
Date: 14 Jan 2021 18:06:25 -0500

In article <670aea8b-ef34-6450-32f1-725ce6de7e96 () gmx net> you write:
But a handful of customers rely on our SMTP server for outgoing e-mail.
Currently we host this our self with a physical box. But I would like to
have a hosted solution so that I don't have to worry about keeping up
with updates and latest spam techniques.

Is this really outgoing only, or are you also providing mailboxes for
incoming mail?

An obvious question if you're not handling incoming mail is why don't
they use their own mail provider (the one that handles mail for the
domain on their From line) as their outgoing host?

If you're looking for mail hosting at modest scale, I've been pretty
happy with Tucows white label service.

If it's outgoing only I would not recommend sendgrid who are
chronically unable to manage their compromised and spamming customers.
smtp.com might be a little better.

R's,
John