nanog mailing list archives

Re: Texas internet connectivity declining due to blackouts

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 14:46:41 -0800

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 8:18 PM Robert Jacobs <rjacobs () pslightwave com>
wrote:

How about letting us Texans have more natural gas power plants or even let
the gas be delivered to the plants we have so they can provide more power
in an emergency. Did not help that 20% of our power is now wind which of
course in an ice storm like we are having is shut off... Lots of issues and
plenty of politics involved here..

CNN reports that some natural gas and oil plants as well as one nuclear
plant have gone offline because the water source they depend on froze.

"Natural gas and coal-fired power plants need water to stay online. Yet
those water facilities froze in the cold temperatures"

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/16/business/texas-power-energy-nightmare/index.html

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--