nanog mailing list archives

Re: Problems with newish IP block assignment issues from ARIN

From: Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2021 19:07:25 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 8 Feb 2021, Justin Wilson (Lists) wrote:

Folks,

Have a gremlin we have been chasing around for several months now and it’s becoming a major issue as we are getting tighter on IPV4 and needing to give some provider assigned space back.

In June we received a /22 from ARIN. As is my workflow I started announcing it but waited a month while I checked out the geolocation databases for correct info, did testing ,etc. All this time our test accounts could browse web-sites, etc.

We put one of the pools into production and things ran good for awhile. Then we started getting the occasional web-site was not working. After several of these we started assigning the customer an IP out of one of our other ARIN blocks and the web-site would be fine and reachable. The issue seems to reside just on this /22. We have other blocks from ARIN and they are just fine. We can assign an IP out of this new block and can’t reach certain web-sites. We turn around and assign out of another block and web-site works just fine.

Been there, and done that back in 2003.

https://web.archive.org/web/20030722022858/http://69box.atlantic.net/
https://web.archive.org/web/20060214055930/http://not69box.atlantic.net/

Unfortunately, I've moved on from that job and don't have any of the code that I developed for not69box/69box (and AFAIK, the box itself is long gone), but you can get an idea from the above page what I did. i.e. The two names resolved to an IP in 69.28.64/19 or an IP in 209.208/17. One of the cooler (at least at the time) features was a dual-frame traceroute that visitors could run and watch the box traceroute to a destination from a each of it's IP's, thus showing where in the path their traceroute broke, if it did, from the "69 space".

 Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
 StackPath, Sr. Neteng       |  therefore you are