nanog mailing list archives

Re: Anyone else seeing DNSSEC failures from EU Commission ? (european-union.europa.eu)

From: Francis Booth via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 10:03:31 -0500

I’m not sure what you’re talking about. DNSSEC is alive and well and protects DNS in-flight from modification. Any
client with proper DNSSEC implemented will drop any forged DNS response from an attackers dns server and prevent them
from loading whatever resource they were trying to access.

Personally, I see DNSSEC as the perfect solution to the problem of the limited selection of third party resolvers
outside the major players (Cloudflare’s 1.1.1.1, Google’s 8.8.8.8, Quad 9, and other major providers). Anybody can set
up a recursive DNS server and start redirecting traffic whenever they please but if that the server has DNSSEC enabled
then I’m going to have more trust that this server is not going to return bad records to me.

The reason you see people have issues with it is because a lot of people aren’t reading through the entire
implementation guidelines and making mistakes in their management of it.

I have been running DNSSEC across a majority of my domains and while I can’t make claim to any “attacks” that may or
may not have been stopped, I have never suffered an outage because of DNSSEC. I have a script that runs every night at
midnight on my DNS servers that sign my zones every night at midnight and updates my serials to the current date+00 (eg
today would be 2021120900) to prevent my signatures from aging out. If ICANN can automate the signing of the Internet
roots every night at midnight, you can too. If your “auditing” is based solely on when your serial numbers have changed
then I’m sorry but that is not proper DNS change auditing, don’t fool yourself.

Ideally the server you use to sign your DNS zones should NOT be the same servers you expose publicly onto the Internet
to prevent your keys from getting stolen and attackers changing your records without your knowledge.

problems and you need to move away from that registrar as fast as possible. Anybody who is not implementing 2FA and is
running a domain registrar is not taking your domain security seriously and do not deserve your business.

Best,
Francis Booth