nanog mailing list archives

Re: "Tactical" /24 announcements

From: Tom Hill <tom () ninjabadger net>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 15:42:57 +0100

On 11/08/2021 14:09, Jon Lewis wrote:
What sort of hands-on experience is this opinion based on?

Having an upstream provider that did it, in a very aggressive fashion.

I've done this manually in the past (quite some time ago), and done
properly, it works fine.

At least one major network hardware vendor has implemented it as a
feature.  Turn it on, and the "deaggregates" with same next-hop as an
aggregate are not programmed into the FIB.  The savings will vary
depending on the device's connectivity, but I've seen >40%.

Limiting the pruning to cases with the same next-hop does indeed sound
like it would be safer than what I've seen done in the past.

Doing this with per-peer prefix-lists would not (certainly not in
classic IOS) provide you with the ability to compare the next-hop before
rejecting those more-specific prefixes, and likely why the attempts to
do this caused the problems that I'm referring to.

I'm glad to hear a vendor has implemented a useful knob. Which vendor?

--
Tom