nanog mailing list archives

Re: (Slightly OT?) K8S Platform As A Service Recommendations

From: Charles N Wyble <charles () turnsys com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2021 08:31:41 -0500

On 4/7/21 11:38 PM, Raymond Burkholder wrote:
On 4/7/21 9:16 AM, Charles N Wyble wrote:> Does anyone have a recommendation for a self-hosted, on premise,
> platform as a service layer for k8s (specifically k3s)?
FWIW:

Maybe you don't need kubernetes:
https://endler.dev/2019/maybe-you-dont-need-kubernetes/

I have considered not running k8s. I didn't run it for a long time. I kept an eye on developments and waited for it to mature.

However the amount of applications and services I am now needing to support and the HA requirements and need for standardization etc.... I don't know of a better option.

Manually install a single node Kubernetes cluster on Debian
http://meta.libera.cc/2021/03/manually-install-single-node-kubernetes.html

Or run Salt or something and spin up LXC containers.

Sure.... and how do I manage IP addresses? Ports? HA? Containers (LXC/docker) is the easy part (on a relative basis anyway!) . It's the meta stuff around it that gets messy.  The orchestration piece of the containers is the difficult part.

As I mentioned, we already have a mature stack outside the app runtime layer (for certs/LDAP/database etc). We just want applications/services on k8s. Minimize the complexity/blast radius! :)