nanog mailing list archives

Re: Myanmar internet - something to think about if you're having a bad day

From: Sabri Berisha <sabri () cluecentral net>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 09:31:13 -0700 (PDT)

----- On Apr 28, 2021, at 11:32 AM, Eric Kuhnke <eric.kuhnke () gmail com> wrote:

Hi,

There's plenty of non technical teenagers in Pakistan with VPN clients on their
phone or laptop who seem perfectly capable of using a VPN to watch Youtube or
access Twitter and other social media, during the periods of time that the
government orders things to be blocked.

Even my third-grader was able to figure out that she needed a VPN when I blocked Roblox's IP space (128.116.0.0/17) on
my home router.

Other than, as reports said, soldiers snipping cables in datacenters, regimes will have a difficult time completely
blocking whatever they don't like. Even China can't do it.

Thanks,

Sabri