nanog mailing list archives

Re: Carriers need to independently verify LOAs

From: Joe Greco <jgreco () ns sol net>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 12:53:34 -0500

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 01:20:22PM -0400, Sean Donelan wrote:
On Sat, 17 Apr 2021, Eric Kuhnke wrote:
Anecdotal: With the prior consent of the DID holders, I have successfully
ported peoples' numbers using nothing more than a JPG scan of a signature
that looks like an illegible 150 dpi black and white blob, pasted in an
image editor on top of a generic looking 'phone bill'.

All carriers should independently verify any LOAs received for account
changes.

Documents received from third-parties, without independently verifying
with the customer of record, using the carriers own records, are just junk
papers.

Almost no carriers verify LOAs by contacting the customer of record.
Worse, they call the phone number on the letterhead provide by the scammer
for "verification."

Presumably we're kinda talking about a problem parallel to the
Internet ASN/IP space LOA problem here.

It would be awesome if there were a nice easy way to identify the
responsible parties, so you could figure out WHOIS the appropriate
party to contact.  If you've ever tried Googling a company with a
hundred thousand employees, calling their contact number on the Web,
and getting through to anybody who knows anything at all about IT,
well, you can spend a day at it and still have gotten nowhere.

It's too bad that this information is so frequently redacted for
privacy.

... JG
--
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way
through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that