nanog mailing list archives

Re: Trident3 vs Jericho2

From: Vincent Bernat <bernat () luffy cx>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2021 16:38:24 +0200

 ❦  9 avril 2021 17:20 +03, Saku Ytti:

If we'd change TCP sender to bandwidth estimation, and newly created window
space would be serialised at estimated receiver rate then we would need
dramatically less buffers. However this less aggressive TCP algorithm would
be outcompeted by new reno reducing bandwidth estimation to approach zero.

Luckily almost all traffic is handled by few players, if they agree to
change to well behaved TCP (or QUIC) algorithm, it doesn't matter much if
the long tail is badly behaving TCP.

I think many of them are now using BBR or BBR v2. It would be
interesting to know how it impacted switch buffering.
--
As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods; they kill us for their sport.
                -- Shakespeare, "King Lear"