nanog mailing list archives

Apple moved from CDN, and ARIN whois

From: Denys Fedoryshchenko <nuclearcat () nuclearcat com>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 17:27:07 +0300

Hi,

Interesting, it seems AS6185 moved traffic from all CDN to their own content network. I noticed big spikes in traffic and complaints about slowness, figured out, Apple content (especially updates) are not coming from a numerous co-hosted CDN, but became "live",
congesting upstreams.
So much efforts on collocating endless CDN in premises to keep things closer to users and handle traffic surges, and yet again, some companies keep inventing their own.

P.S. I dont know if it is bug, but whois at ARIN return "No match found for n + 17.0.0.0/8" for 17.0.0.0/8, but works fine for single ip from this range, like 17.0.0.0, and returns info about 17.0.0.0/8