nanog mailing list archives

Re: BFD for routes learned trough Route-servers in IXPs

From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 08:14:45 -0400

On Sep 22, 2020, at 4:46 AM, Andy Davidson <andy () nosignal org> wrote:

Hi,

Douglas Fisher wrote:
B) There is any other alternative to that?

Don't connect to IXPs with very very large and complicated topologies. Connect to local IXPs where the design makes a
forwarding plane failure that causes the problem you describe less likely.

Or don’t use a route server except to bootstrap.  I regularly see issues related to them.  I get it’s not easy to peer
at an IXP, but IXP peering isn’t for everyone as some people might make it sound.  This is why back in the day there
was a push to require 24x7 staffing of the remote side to ensure it was being monitored/supported.

That may no longer apply to many people, but without active monitoring, you won’t know what the state is of the remote
side.

- Jared