nanog mailing list archives

Re: Getting Fiber to My Town by Jared Mauch

From: Brandon Butterworth <brandon () bogons net>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 23:57:27 +0100

On Thu Sep 10, 2020 at 04:54:50PM -0500, Mike Hammett wrote:
When I read up about it, yes, pulling lube and blowing lube
are different and you'll get different results. Microduct
blowing lube is yet another difference.

Quite different. This is what we've used on Microduct

http://www.emtelle.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/UK_DS_4400.pdf.
"Penn-Lube 9702A is a water based thixotropic lubricant which
 reduces friction during installation of cable and sub-duct...
 Containing high viscosity silicone polymers and perfectly
 spherical microspheres"

it's not cheap (about $20 for 240ml) but worth it, our
longest single blow was just under 3km
https://twitter.com/BogonsNet/status/1281509965686018048

The project we did can be seen at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VOhTiSYChQ
https://balquhidder.net

More people should take control of their internet, we're
working on some more.

brandon