nanog mailing list archives

Re: Ingress filtering on transits, peers, and IX ports

From: Brandon Martin <lists.nanog () monmotha net>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 06:51:42 -0400

On 10/13/20 9:40 PM, Nikolas Geyer wrote:
Tl;dr - definitely don’t accept your own prefix from the site it originated from, or other sites that have internal
connectivity. But also don’t assume that an AS has a full-mesh of internal connectivity behind it and shouldn’t accept
its own prefixes for any reason.

While I can understand some reasons why people don't do it, I believe the proper thing to do in this case is have multiple ASNs - one for each island.

They obviously have distinct routing policy and thus qualify at least under ARIN policy AFAIK. With AS4, we don't have any imminent shortage of ASNs and don't need to be particularly stingy about allocating them as long as a need is met.
--
Brandon Martin