nanog mailing list archives

Re: alternative to voip gateways

From: Masataka Ohta <mohta () necom830 hpcl titech ac jp>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 18:13:31 +0900

Baldur Norddahl wrote:

I own a FTTH based ISP so I believe I know exactly what the cost are. As it is we are smashing the copper based competition. A copper plant is not free to run and either it can not deliver the expected speed or it requires significant investments to get the loop length down.

Expected speed? You should be comparing FTTH and FTTC.

I am not trying to suggest what the OP should do, I am just raising the possibility that there might be another way. If you factor in deprecation and future proofing of investment, the investment in fiber might actually result in the better financial result of the company. Even if the initial investment is higher.

Investment for FTTH is 10 times or more than that for plain DSL.

                                                        Masataka Ohta