nanog mailing list archives

Re: Arista Switches rebooting

From: Vincent Bernat <bernat () luffy cx>
Date: Tue, 05 May 2020 09:02:35 +0200

 ❦  5 mai 2020 09:09 +03, Saku Ytti:

We found a bug on the 64 port x 100gig model that if you insert a quad
twinax 10gig fanout cable in many of the ports it will trigger a reboot.I

I've seen a similar issue in another vendor, where specific SFP
inserted would reload the linecard. This was because the SFP didn't
answer fast enough to I2C queries and the polling code couldn't handle
the error so it crashed the whole linecard. Vendor didn't fix the
code, because it didn't happen on vendor optic, while obviously they
must have understood they can't guarantee vendor optic answers in a
timely manner in I2C.

We had a similar issue, but vendor fixed the issue (despite it only
happened with cheap third-party optics). If we talk about the same
vendor, it was fixed in 17.3R4, 17.4R3, 17.3R3-S4 and 18.1R3-S4. It's PR
1425893 (not public).
--
Man is the only animal that blushes -- or needs to.
                -- Mark Twain