nanog mailing list archives

Google peering in LAX

From: Seth Mattinen <sethm () rollernet us>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2020 12:40:32 -0800

Anyone know why Google announces only aggregates via peering and disaggregate prefixes over transit?

For example, I had a customer complaining about a path that was taking the long way instead of via peering and when I looked I saw:

Only 172.217.0.0/16 over Any2 LAX

That plus 172.217.14.0/24 over transit

Any inquiries to Google just get a generic "we're not setting up any new peering but we're on route servers" response for almost a year now. Or is it because they don't send the /24's to route servers and I'm stuck until they finish their forever improvement project to turn up a direct neighbor?