nanog mailing list archives

Re: South Africa On Lockdown - Coronavirus - Update!

From: Randy Bush <randy () psg com>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 13:48:16 -0700

And like this short message about South Africa was highly useful for
my country of residence, Lebanon, too. We are under full, quite severe
lock-down, with fines, checkpoints and etc.
Several ISPs here who kept NOC support (single person) near server
room, in office - got fined too, as usual businesses, because there is
no such regulation to allow them to run.

while i have visited, i claim zero understanding of your culture.  but
gossip from friends is that there is a larger than usual communication
gap between the internet industry and government.  and, as far as i have
been told, it is not for a lack of effort.  perhaps teh culture will
learn how critical the net is and what it needs to be maintained.

almost all our cultures have gaps; but some worse than others.  we will
all learn lessons in the coming many months of plague.  i know an office
which lost key engineers last year because they would not let them work
remotely.  now the entire company is working remotely, and successfully.

randy