nanog mailing list archives

Re: crypto frobs

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 17:48:29 -0700

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 5:16 PM Warren Kumari <warren () kumari net> wrote:
Well, yes and no. With a Yubiikey the attacker  has to be local to
physically touch the button[0] - with just an SSH key, anyone who gets
access to the machine can take my key and use it. This puts it in the
"something you have" (not something you are) camp.

Hi Warren,

They're both "something you have" factors. The yubi key proves
possession better than the ssh key just like a long password proves
what-you-know better than a 4-digit PIN. But the ssh key and the yubi
key are still part of the same authentication factor.

Not really -- if an attacker steals my laptop, they don't have the
yubikey (unless I store it in the USB port).

You make a habit of removing your yubi key from the laptop when nature
calls? No you don't.

If they *do* steal both,
they can bruteforce the SSH passphrase, but after 5 tries of guessing
the Yubikey PIN it self-destructs.

What yubikey are you talking about? I have a password protecting my
ssh key but the yubikeys I've used (including the FIPS version) spit
out a string of characters when you touch them. No pin.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin