nanog mailing list archives

Re: COVID-19 vs. our Networks

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2020 17:37:43 -0400

On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 04:42:51AM +0200, Mark Tinka wrote:
All I'm saying is at the moment, there is no empirical information to
suggest that Netflix will break what's left of the Internet. Nor is
there any empirical information suggesting that singling them out will
help keep it going.

My remarks weren't about Netflix or any other particular service.
(FWIW, I agree with you on both quoted points about the lack of
evidence.  Maybe it'll arrive.  Maybe it won't.)

I was trying to speak, perhaps unsuccessfully, in broader terms about
trying to best position ourselves for challenges that we may not
see coming despite the aggregated millenia of expertise here.  I think
at this particular point in time we need to be ready for anything,
for a very nebulous and possibly quite surprising value of "anything".

---rsk