nanog mailing list archives

Re: COVID-19 vs. our Networks

From: bzs () theworld com
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2020 17:17:01 -0400

On March 14, 2020 at 14:49 rsk () gsp org (Rich Kulawiec) wrote:

2. Find all the phone chargers, laptop chargers, USB sticks, cables,
everything.  If you're not already obsessive about keeping things
charged, get that way.

You're really expecting power interruptions due to the virus (in the
US)?

Somewhere else (FB) I saw someone snarking that people are dumb
because they're buying out frozen food what are they going to do when
there's no power for their freezers?!

I just don't see that as a likely scenario here but maybe I'm the one
who's deluded.

I suppose some regions are more vulnerable than others, there was that
crazy fire prevention outage in California a few months ago.

If we get to the point that there are serious power outages due to a
flu I think we'll have much worse problems than our phones are going
dead, there won't be any phone network! Or whatever.

P.S. I also got the death threat WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! spam but
didn't think it was worth a whole new message so, here, I mentioned it
in case people are wondering if it's just them.

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs () TheWorld com             | http://www.TheWorld.com