nanog mailing list archives

Re: China’s Slow Transnational Network

From: Jeff Shultz <jeffshultz () sctcweb com>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2020 08:04:13 -0800

Maybe... I dunno.... get rid of the Great Firewall of China?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Firewall

On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 7:59 AM Pengxiong Zhu <pzhu011 () ucr edu> wrote:

Hi all,

We are a group of researchers at University of California, Riverside who
have been working on measuring the transnational network performance (and
have previously asked questions on the mailing list). Our work has now led
to a publication in Sigmetrics 2020 and we are eager to share some
interesting findings.

We find China's transnational networks have extremely poor performance
when accessing foreign sites, where the throughput is often persistently
low (e.g., for the majority of the daytime). Compared to other countries
we measured including both developed and developing, China's transnational
network performance is among the worst (comparable and even worse than some
African countries).

--

Best,
Pengxiong Zhu
University of California, Riverside

--
Jeff Shultz

--
Like us on Social Media for News, Promotions, and other information!!

<https://www.facebook.com/SCTCWEB/>
<https://www.instagram.com/sctc_503/>
<https://www.yelp.com/biz/sctc-stayton-3>
<https://www.youtube.com/c/sctcvideos>

_**** This message
contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual
named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate,
distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by
e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail
from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or
error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed,
arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does
not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this
message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. ****_