nanog mailing list archives

Re: Devil's Advocate - Segment Routing, Why?

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2020 00:19:40 +0200

On 17/Jun/20 20:40, Dave Bell wrote:

I don't understand the point of SRv6. What equipment can support IPv6
routing, but can't support MPLS label switching?

Indeed.

Anything that can support LDPv4 today can support LDPv6, in hardware.

SRv6 and SRv6+ is a whole other issue, not to mention the amount of work
needed to write code for it.

Not just this, but the LFA path is always the post-convergence path.
You don't get microloops.

You can implement TE on top if that is your thing. No need to run
RSVP. Another protocol you don't need to run.

You don't need to throw out all your old kit, and replace with new in
one go. You can incrementally roll it out, and leave islands of LDP
where needed. LDP-SR interworking is pretty simple.

We are currently introducing it into our core. It will probably be a
while before we fully phase out LDP, but its definitely on the roadmap.

Happy to hear, and I have nothing against your choice if you are happy
with it.

But for a network that may not see the need in spending cycles doing
yet-another roll out, it tastes funny when you are forced down a new path.

Mark.