nanog mailing list archives

RE: Partial vs Full tables

From: Michael Hare via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2020 02:01:21 +0000

Mark (and others),

I used to run loose uRPF on peering/transit links for AS3128 because I used to think that tightening the screws was
always the "right thing to do".

I instrumented at 60s granularity with vendor J uRPF drop counters on these links.  Drops during steady state [bgp
converged] were few [Kbps].  Drops during planned maintenance were at much rates for a few minutes.

What was happening: I advertise a handful of routes to transit/peers from multiple ASBR.  Typically my ASBR sees 800K
FIB and a few million RIB routes  We all know this takes a good amount of time to churn..

For planned maintenance of ASBR A [cold boot upgrades], if recovery didn't include converging my inbound routes before
doing eBGP advertising, I'd be tossing packets due to loose uRPF.

Remember during this time 'ASBR B'  in my AS is happy egressing traffic as soon as 'ASBR A' advertises my dozen or so
prefixes via eBGP, I start to see return traffic much sooner than before 'ASBR A' has converged.  No more specific
return route yet other than maybe default for a few minutes if unlucky..  The result is bit bucket networkwide despite
ASBR B functioning just fine.

Maybe everyone already convergences inbound before advertising eBGP and I made a rookie mistake, but what about
unplanned events?

For me the summary is that I was causing more collateral damage than good [verified by time series data], so I turned
off loose URPF.  YMMV.

-Michael