nanog mailing list archives

Re: 60ms cross continent

From: Paul Nash <paul () nashnetworks ca>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2020 12:00:16 +0000

Not quite VSAT, but in the bad old SA days (pre-demicracy), I did some work for a company that used a UK-based
satellite provider for data to the client (data was sent in the VBI), and dial-up for the traffic from the client.

Still relied on a local provider for the dial-up, though, so could be censored.

Before TICSA, I also looked at buying a private (pirate) satellite earth station.  The Russian government were selling
off surplus 8-wheel-drive military satellite earth stations, and I was thinking of parking one in my back garden (I
lived on a farm).

        paul