nanog mailing list archives

Anyone from Airtel or Tata on list? DNS block issue on search engine

From: John Von Essen <john () essenz com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2020 08:19:31 -0400

Starting yesterday, we’ve noticed the search engine DuckDuckGo being blocked via DNS in India. Specifically, users
using Airtel or Tata DNS servers. Other search engines are fine (Bing, etc.,.). I know alot of blocking is occurring in
India recently, but I think the net was incorrectly cast over this one. Its not all ISPs in India, so far just Airtel
and Tata.

$ dig @122.166.234.70 duckduckgo.com

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> @122.166.234.70 duckduckgo.com
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4000
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;duckduckgo.com.                        IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
rpz.airtelblack.com.    262     IN      SOA     rpz.airtelblack.com. hostmaster.rpz.airtelblack.com. 2360 3 3 2419200
604800

$ dig @59.163.126.38 duckduckgo.com

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> @59.163.126.38 duckduckgo.com
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4000
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;duckduckgo.com.                        IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
duckduckgo.com.         10800   IN      A       127.0.0.1