nanog mailing list archives

RE: questions asked during network engineer interview

From: <adamv0025 () netconsultings com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2020 15:01:19 +0100

Jeff Bacon
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2020 1:55 PM

 > Who said anything about boxing your tooling in to SDN tech? You  >
described Software Defined Networking as a rabbit hole and snake oil.
 > It isn't. It's a class of tools in the networking toolbox and an  > increasingly
useful one.

As it is, we have marketing people sticking "SDN" onto every bloody thing
that comes along in the hopes that it'll better catch the attention of someone
without enough of a clue that they'll cough up (and leave someone else to
figure out what to do with it). I freely admit that's just what they do and
expecting them to do anything different is wishful thinking, but I don't see
any of us doing anything about it except creating long email chains wherein
we just keep trying to munge apples and oranges together. :)

I suggest we educate users so they can make better decisions on what tool to use for what job and not get confused in
all the marketing jive around SDN.
Blueprint: MEF-SDN/NFV Certification Exam:
https://wiki.mef.net/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=75990347
- has a pretty good list of self-study material, don't worry you might have read a lot of those books already.

adam