nanog mailing list archives

Re: BFD for long haul circuit

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2020 18:48:57 +0200

On 17/Jul/20 18:42, Tom Hill wrote:

Yes, I rather think that you've drawn comparison to "consumer" as being
in a home somewhere.

Someone that consumes a circuit, and someone that provides the service
(or resells one). A business customer is a consumer in that case - I
won't discriminate against what use someone has for wanting to consume
bandwidth between countries, but I do think the specificity here is in
whether you intend to just use it, or resell it, and that's where the
difference comes in relation to Robert's point.

We see both use-cases, where businesses (enterprise) consume, and
operators resell.

Ultimately, it's about not boxing everything into a definition,
especially if it meets your needs. Just like how our idea of a core or
peering router vs. a vendor's idea of a core or peering router might
differ :-).

Mark.