nanog mailing list archives

Re: questions asked during network engineer interview

From: Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2020 10:55:21 -0700

On 7/14/20 10:46 AM, Shawn L via NANOG wrote:

I completely agree.  One of the people I used to do interviews with would look through the resume, etc. and then say something like "this all looks good. Tell me about something you've done".  And we'd move on to talk about projects and how they tackled it, etc.

We didn't give tests, just questions like  "if we asked you to do this, on something you haven't seen or used before, how would you go about it".   Or pretend I'm the customer.  I want to do this.  How would you go about it?  it wasn't about getting a 'correct' answer, it was about how they went about solving the problem.

I do that too. I figure that if they can't teach me about something they've done in real life, they're probably overstating their involvement. People should *like* talking about how they went about solving problems and be proud of what they achieved. But I try as much as possible to put candidates at ease because I know that not everybody reacts to interviews the same, which is sadly not the case far too often.

Mike