nanog mailing list archives

RE: Re: Reminiscing our first internet connections (WAS) Re: akamai yesterday - what in the world was that

From: Jamie Bowden via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 19:00:01 +0000

That was the other half of going to Extended Super Frame.  Lyle talked about AMI going away below, but didn't mention
what replaced it (Binary 8bit Zero Substitution for the kids on the list).

I don't know about the other ILECs out there, but I don't know if Verizon will even provision a T1 anymore.  I know you
can still get a PRI (that's how our phone systems interface with the PSTN), but if we needed a CT1 instead, I don't
know that they'd be able (willing) to deliver it.  I know you can't get a BRI.  We moved offices a few years ago and we
basically lost the ability to use our STEs for anything but voice as we couldn't get BRIs delivered to the new space.

Speaking of ISDN, I had equipment that would support 56k ISDN, but never saw it provisioned (was that Switch56?  Or am
I mixing up FR and ISDN?).  All of the ISDN circuits I dealt with were standard 2B+D (BRI), or 23B+D (PRI).  I think
the oldest (and weirdest) piece of gear I personally worked on was a Gandalf ISDN router that was supporting a US Navy
site to site connection.  Which makes me a newcomer to The Internet compared to a lot of people on this list, I'm sure.

--
Jamie Bowden (jamie.s.bowden () raytheon com) (703) 842-3848
Sr Computer Network Technologist II