nanog mailing list archives

Re: Internet services in Antarctica

From: william manning <chinese.apricot () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 08:28:04 -0800

from 1995-1996, i placed a DNS root server in Antarctica.  Funding for the
bandwidth cost was high enough that I pulled the service.  Never really
delved into the actual requirement for "real-time" interactions that could
not be localized.   caching  and batch transfers cover most of the need.
for more recent work on high bandwidth delay environments, check out:
http://ipnsig.org/

/wm