nanog mailing list archives

Re: Hi-Rise Building Fiber Suggestions

From: Brandon Martin <lists.nanog () monmotha net>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2020 11:56:42 -0500

On 2/26/20 11:43 AM, Filip Hruska wrote:
Some NICs don't support SM optics, so even if you would like to run SM everywhere, it's not necessarily possible depending on the equipment. For example, I had issues with some SolarFlare cards which happily take 10G-SR MM but won't take 10G-LR SM.

Is this because they're dumb, or is there some serious reason? AFAIK, the electrical side of the SFP+ is the same for all 10G-R PHYs.

My philosophy has generally been that all fixed infrastructure installed in this era might as well be single-mode. If I'm just dropping a patch cord in a raceway or similar, I'll use multi-mode in many cases. On the fixed side, I have enough trouble convincing folks that APC and UPC plugs are different let alone trying to explain why you can plug SM optics into MMF and it will (generally) work while the other way around does not beyond a few meters and, since SMF can't be gotten rid of entirely in fixed infrastructure, I'll take the normalization where I can get it.
--
Brandon Martin