nanog mailing list archives

Re: ATT Microcell in Austin, TX

From: "Constantine A. Murenin" <mureninc () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2020 13:15:32 -0600

On Tue, 18 Feb 2020 at 10:10, Darin Steffl <darin.steffl () mnwifi com> wrote:

I believe that when this happens, they should proactively block or limit
video and file download/upload traffic as much as possible to make sure
communications like calls and texts can go through with the highest success
rate possible. Netflix and YouTube should never hinder more important
communications in my opinion. Maybe it's as simple as putting a rate limit
for each cellphone connected to these now overloaded sectors so no one can
hog the cell capacity.

This is very easy to do, thanks for the widespread adoption and use of
HTTP, which lets you easily filter these sorts of things in times of need
and to suit the requirements.

Or, what, we no longer use HTTP, because it's not "secure"?

Nevermind, folks.  Don't forget to update your certs and thank IETF,
Mozilla, Cloudflare and Google Chrome for your lack of connectivity.  But
at least you're secure, as no bad traffic can reach you now!

C.