nanog mailing list archives

Re: akamai yesterday - what in the world was that

From: Brandon Martin <lists.nanog () monmotha net>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2020 13:59:27 -0500

On 2/14/20 1:24 PM, Andy Ringsmuth wrote:
Uhhhh, it is 2020, not 2010. 100M, 200M, 400M or 1G is increasingly common for home broadband. I’ve got 400M at home,
could get 1G fiber for less than $100 if I wanted it, and I’m in your average, run-of-the-mill Midwest city.

And there are plenty of places in the USA with literally no wireline connectivity aside from POTS who rely on LTE or local WISPs to deliver bits, and they're doing well to give them 100M (capped or pay-by-the-GB on LTE, typically) and often much less. There's also plenty of places where wireline speeds max out around 50-75Mbps in practice, even if the local MSO says you can get more.

The divide keeps getting bigger.
--
Brandon Martin