nanog mailing list archives

Re: akamai yesterday - what in the world was that

From: Brandon Martin <lists.nanog () monmotha net>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2020 11:48:23 -0500

On 2/12/20 11:22 AM, Seth Mattinen wrote:
My experience is that they want to see lots of traffic growth to stay interested. As companies get bigger the minimum bar to play keeps going up, and anyone below that bar is stuck relying on transit. Fall below the bar or don't show enough growth fast enough and they pull the resources away.

Which makes perfect sense for anything that involves physical infrastructure, talking to people, etc. Resources have to be allocated reasonably.

I guess what I'm looking for is a more "standard product". Load this VM, tell it your preference for upstream use vs. hit rate, let it announce some routes into your network, and you take what you get. If you need more, presumably you have the volume to back it up.

I know somebody had done something like this for Steam at one point using a transparent HTTP proxy. IDK if it still works, and I don't think it was actually supported by Valve.

Maybe I'm smoking something, here...
--
Brandon Martin