nanog mailing list archives

Re: The Real AI Threat?

From: Brandon Svec <bsvec () teamonesolutions com>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2020 09:30:46 -0800

On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 9:25 AM Miles Fidelman <mfidelman () meetinghouse net>
wrote:

(The point being:  We don't have to wait for "real" AI to see many of the
dangers that folks fictionalize about - we are already seeing those dangers
from mundane software - and it's only going to get worse while people are
looking elsewhere.)

Miles Fidelman

Well put. No matter what you call it, algorithms are already dangerous and
can be unpredictable. People have a tendency to not want to make hard
choices and will often defer to computations or calculations.

Recommended reading on the topic:
https://smile.amazon.com/Weapons-Math-Destruction-Increases-Inequality/dp/0553418815