nanog mailing list archives

Re: Issue with Noction IRP default setting (Was: BGP route hijack by AS10990)

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom com>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2020 07:27:50 +0200

On 3/Aug/20 00:03, Ross Tajvar wrote:
I guess I missed your mention of "guidance rather than regulation",
and am still missing it, unless you're referring to another thread.

If you want to acknowledge a problem with internet governance and
bring it to this mailing list for discussion, that sounds like a good
idea. But the only "problem" I've seen you bring up in this thread is
the participation of young people, and I've yet to hear a reason why
that's a bad thing. This just sounds like gatekeeping to me.

If we want to improve routing security, then rather than making vague
claims about things "catching up with us" with no clear problem
statement, we should be focusing our efforts on basic safeguards like
filtering and RPKI OV. I don't consider that "burying my head in the
sand".

You may have missed most of these fundamentals much earlier in the thread.

I'm not looking to repeat myself, so you're welcome to start from the
top and come back if you have any more questions.

Mark.