nanog mailing list archives

Re: Is there *currently* a shortage of IPv4 addresses?

From: Baldur Norddahl <baldur.norddahl () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2020 23:16:36 +0200

IP address space is no longer free. But an ISP or hosting company is a
trader of addresses now and like everything else we do, there is an
opportunity to make a margin.

Say the provider bought at $12 per address and assuming IPv4 is needed for
at least 10 years, that would only be .1 USD/month.

But does that mean it is unfair to claim a $2 rent on that? What if the
service has other components that are equally cheaper?

Regards
Baldur