nanog mailing list archives

Re: mail admins?

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 08:35:28 -0700

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 7:14 AM Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com> wrote:
On 4/26/20 8:39 PM, Matt Palmer wrote:
On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 05:10:56PM -0700, Michael Thomas wrote:
Which exactly zero deployment. And you need to store the plain-text password
on the server side. What could possibly go wrong?
But you said that *passwords on the wire* were the biggest problem.  Digest
auth solves that.  Also, you don't have to store the plain-text password.

Correct. You need only store the realm/user/password digest. The chief
problem with digest authentication is that the web site has no control
over the UI. Among the many issues, this makes it tricky to reliably
capture a digest in the first place without the server at least
briefly knowing the password. I don't know if webauthn corrects this
or makes similar blunders.

You clearly know everything, while Steven, Paul, myself and the
collective wisdom of w3c know nothing, so I'm out.

Respectfully, if you didn't know that http digest authentication
doesn't require server-side password storage, and more importantly
don't simply admit it now that you've been informed, how trustworthy
can your understanding of web authentication be?

I can't speak to Steven, Paul, the w3c or any other non-posters to
this thread that you wish to employ in an appeal to authority fallacy
but with due respect, I think you hold a myopic view of network
security. For better or worse, security is a zero-sum game. The budget
stays proportional to the value of the asset being protected. When you
spend it on low-impact improvements you don't have it for the many
improvements with a higher impact than whether a web site knows the
password you chose for that web site.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--