nanog mailing list archives

Re: [nanog] BGP routes by country

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 17:52:18 -0400

On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 4:48 PM Chris Knipe <savage () savage za org> wrote:

On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 9:53 PM Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com> wrote:

Maybe asking from the get-go:
  "What are you trying to do?"

because the question asked is fraught with peril and disaster...

Why?  When you have a serious problem with a specific ASN, it's not unreasonable to drop traffic to that entire ASN.

isn't the question though not ASN but 'country' ?

When you have a serious problem predominantly originating from a certain country, why is it unreasonable to drop
traffic to that entire country?

Sure, where is 74.125.0.0/24 originated from? There's not really a
simple answer in bgp for this ;(

Just because I own an ASN and participate in the world of BGP, doesn't mean I *must* accept everyone's traffic from
all over the world.  My network, my rules(1)

sure, and you can drop whatever you want, my point was that it's not
really straight forward which ip is which country over time :(

(1) my as in the ASN whom choose to drop prefixes for an entire ASN and/or country.