nanog mailing list archives

Registration fraud (was Re: RPKI)

From: Masataka Ohta <mohta () necom830 hpcl titech ac jp>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2019 05:25:05 +0900

Martijn Schmidt via NANOG wrote:

Given that there is (or should be) an unbroken chain of contracts and
payments from IANA to RIR (to NIR) to LIR and beyond for all
non-legacy resources, I'd say they are in a pretty good position to
take care of the due diligence work to validate an organisation's
ownership as well as its associated resources and subsequently
publish the result through a cryptographic signature. If one of the
RIRs or NIRs is not doing that job properly then we should (at first
privately) call them out on it and push them to improve.

I'm afraid that improvement is very hard, given the reality of fraud
involving intra-national real estate registration as is exemplified by:

https://www.hg.org/legal-articles/legal-options-available-to-victims-of-real-estate-fraud-in-ontario-7376
Real estate fraud in Ontario generally includes "mortgage fraud" (e.g.
fraudsters acquire a mortgage fraudulently through false information or
identification and run away with the money, leaving the true home owners
with a significant liability) and "title fraud" (e.g. fraudsters use
stolen identity or forged documents to transfer a registered owner's
title to him or herself without the owner's knowledge).

How can a real estate or IP address registrar detect "forged documents
to transfer a registered owner's title to him or herself without the
owner's knowledge", especially when the transfer is international?

Also, though I think existing code is applicable to fraud involving
IP addresses, its practical applicability for international cases
is questionable.

                                                Masataka Ohta