nanog mailing list archives

Re: U.S. Senate: READI Act 2019 re-introducted

From: Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2019 13:28:04 -0700

On 10/27/19 11:57 AM, Sean Donelan wrote:
On Fri, 25 Oct 2019, Michael Thomas wrote:
Ok, you had me completely puzzled by digital assistant layer. I'm not sure apps might not be interested in competing for users: "This 7.0 earthquake is brought to you by Allstate!"

I'll assume you intended a smiley emoticon.

Yes. My real issue is that I'm not sure I want the USG in the business of UI requirements, and I'm not sure that I want Apple and Google to be the sole arbiters either. Take for example Amber alerts: their ham fisted blasts that don't even take into account whether I'm in any position to help... like I'm sitting at home and not on the road. And then there's the issue of 8 dozen devices in the house faithfully blasting the same message. And then of course, there is the disaggregation problem of many different sources of altering using different alert distribution mechanisms. It would be nice to have some leeway such that somebody who might care about those problems has a chance at to be a player too. Yes, maybe that is an Allstate app that I can opt into. Maybe it's an open source project. Maybe it needs certification. There are a lot of possibilities here and although Apple and Google are at approximately the right layer in the stack, I don't think they're at the right layer of motivation: Allstate would definitely have more motivation, IMO.

Mike