nanog mailing list archives

FCC Takes Steps to Enforce Quality Standards for Rural Broadband

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2019 13:42:57 -0400 (EDT)

There is just so much I want to make sarcastic comments about, but I worry about offending future potential employers (all of them).

https://www.fcc.gov/document/fcc-takes-steps-enforce-quality-standards-rural-broadband-0

FCC Takes Steps To Enforce Quality Standards For Rural Broadband Networks and Also Provides Additional Flexibility to Reduce Burden on Companies

[...]

In response to Petitions for Reconsideration and Applications for Review of an earlier bureau- level Performance Measure Order, the FCC today maintained the existing requirement that carriers conduct quarterly speed and latency tests between specified numbers of active subscribers’ homes and the Internet, and made targeted modifications to the testing procedures, including:

- Modifying the schedule for commencing testing by basing it on the deployment obligations specific to each Connect America Fund support mechanism;

- Implementing a new pre-testing period that will allow carriers to become familiar with testing procedures without facing a loss of support for failure to meet the requirements;

- Allowing greater flexibility to carriers in identifying which customer locations should be tested and selecting the endpoints for testing broadband connections.