nanog mailing list archives

Re: Graphical databases ?

From: Simone Ricci <simone () apuacom it>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2019 11:05:52 +0200

Hello Craig,

although I think we’re slightly off topic here, please be aware that neo4j is not a graphical database (eg. it doesn’t
aim to be gui-driven), but a *graph* one: this characteristic tells you about the paradigm the db engine uses to
organize and indicize data; it’s just another flavour, the others being - for example - relational and document
databases.

Operationally wise is quite hassle free, also has an integrated backup tool which does its job; being a java
application it consumes a fair amount of ram just to run :-)…it uses lucene under the hood (just as elasticsearch
does), so memory wise you should take dataset size into account and plan accordingly. Our dataset is very small so I
can’t be very helpful on this matter. Runs nicely in docker and there’s also an official image.

I use it for outside plant documentation, for me does its job definitely better than an excel file, but it’s not so
user friendly: the data visualization tool does its job but feels more a PoC than a mature application, and it’s read
only…so for data entry you have to manually write queries. I’m looking to integrate it with a proper GIS solution in
the future.

TL;DR: it’s fine if you want to use it as a database for your application, but it’s not a complete application by
itself (even if the integrated data visualization tool does its job pretty well). Operationally wise is a piece of
cake, also runs nicely in docker.

Regards
Simone