nanog mailing list archives

Re: dns cache beyond ttl - viasat / exede

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2019 14:23:09 -0700

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 11:56 AM Brielle <bruns () 2mbit com> wrote:
On 10/7/2019 12:15 PM, William Herrin wrote:
This is the action of the TCP accelerator. TCP has a "long fat pipe"
problem where high-delay links (like a trip to geostationary orbit and
back) demolish throughput. To combat this, satellite protocols translate
TCP flows to a non-TCP or modified TCP protocol for transmission through
the satellite and then back to TCP in the modem.

Yeah, its just one of those things that really messes with you when you
are trying to diagnose obscure error messages and application behavior.

Usually I'd be in a place 50+ miles from nearest town with cell service,
only accessible via jetboat...  stuck on Iridium sat phone at $5/min
with the Sat company, their utterly useless first level support that
refuses to actually get a network engineer involved...

I'm a patient, tolerant woman normally with tech support, but the sat
internet providers push you into a red zone so quickly with their
support...

You don't happen to have some documented examples of this do you? I could
use examples of stuff that broke and was hard to diagnose and fix due to
unexpected proxying behavior for an argument I'm having elsewhere.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin